Monday 9 January 2012

What Kind of Legacy Are Your Leaving Your Children?

What kind of legacy are you leaving your children? You see, in a family I believe first and foremost that your children are one of the most important people in a family. They didn't ask to come into this world, but you brought them here. You need to ask yourself this question: "What kind of legacy do I want to leave them?"

The reason I bring this question up is because it's so important. I see couples leaving little children with broken homes. I see mothers and fathers running around with other people and being unfaithful. I see them leaving children with only one parent struggling just to get by. I see a mother and father always fighting, and I also see domestic abuse. Then I see children getting abused and finding out that they have no where to turn, and nowhere to hide. And, today as things get worse with the economy, I see thousands upon thousand of children without a home at all. I can't imagine that. A little child in America without a home. It almost makes me cry. And, then I can't help but wonder what happens to them?

Nowadays, what a sad state many marriages and families are in. Someone needs to step up to the plate and make a change. It's never too late to change and come home and take care of your little ones. They really need you more than you know. It's hard enough nowadays.

When you are gone from this world, what images and memories do you want to leave to your chlidren? Do you want them to say. "I remember Dad or Mom, and they were great!" "They were always there for me!" Or, I really loved my Mom and Dad because they showered me with so much love. That is the legacy I want to leave my children. You know you've heard of people leaving a legacy, well, you can too. You know money isn't everything, but how you treat your children is just about everything. I have to tell you a true story about myself. I did come from a broken home and it wasn't always easy for me. I had a lot of challenges to overcome, but I do remember my Mom. I went out of my way to see her as she was living a block away and I got to go out and eat at a restaurant with her and my Dad, and she took me to the dentist. I remember the dentist because she forgot to tell me not to eat anything and they put me under anesthesia. I was so sick afterwards. Anyway, I got to see my Mom two times total that I can remember. I remember my Mom's pretty red hair, her nail polish was a pretty sparkly color. And I even remember the dress that I wore when my Dad and my Mom and I went out to eat. I was only 8 years old.

Shortly thereafter, I picked up a newspaper and my Mom was on the front page. She was driving down a straight road in a small farm town, and she ran into the back of a cement truck and was killed instantly. My Aunt and Uncle didn't want to tell me right away because they were afraid it would be too much. I wished now that they would have broke the news to me. It might have been easier, but you see they loved me and didn't want me to be hurt.

I tell you this story because there are many Moms and Dads out there right now that are hurting for their children, but maybe are afraid to pick up the phone and make that call. I don't know where you are with your own personal situation, but if there is a way to see or visit your children and you haven't visited with them lately or at all, you should try to at least make an effort. If it's a bad situation, I understand that, but my situation was bad too, but I went out of my way and I am so glad I did. But, I do have memories. If I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see her, I wouldn't have even known what she was like. They tell me that I look like her, but you know that's not enough. No, a picture is not enough. See, my Mom left me a legacy. It wasn't huge, but it was something, and I'm glad I had those 2 days with her as it meant the world to me. I will always remember those 2 days until I leave this world.

So, you need to ask yourself what kind of legacy are you going to leave your children? Will it be a good one? Or, will it be a bad one. It's all up to you. I hope you make the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment